Wednesday 1 July 2009

The Beautiful Batwoman

I won’t go into a long review of this book as it has been reviewed on every other comic book site over the last week. I finally got round to reading this last night and I just wanted to express how good this comic was.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single comic drawn more beautifully than here by J.H Williams III. The only other time I think I have seen his work is in the great Batman ‘Club of Heroes’ story arc written by Morrison. He work there was excellent with very imaginative layouts which he also uses to great effect in Detective.

I never read 52 or any other story involving this Batwoman, but straight away I like her. She is modern and tough and very determined. I want to learn more about her.

But back to the art, I can’t express how good the work is, and not just the pencils but the colour work too. J.H. Williams III is shown as the only artist in the credits but you could easily think that 3 artists have contributed to this book (please correct me if I’m wrong). The art goes from dramatic paint style with bold blacks and reds to a softer neutral pallet that then flows into a sketchy more usual comic book style, but they all work so well together.

This comic basically blew me away and is a total ‘must pick up’. I have included some preview pages below to show you some of this fantastic art if you have not already seen it. Plus the Question back up feature was a great little crime caper too. Two great stories, one fantastic and exciting new book. Stuff like this makes me a happy comic book fan.





No comments:

Post a Comment