Monday 22 June 2009

MARVEL NEWS! NEWS! NEWS! From Comic Cons

Well this weekend there has been a tone of Marvel news released at Comic Cons so I’m just gonna do a quick round up with some links to what interested me and what might hopefully interest you guys:

-Dark Reign: The List

A series of one-shots starting in September, and featuring Osborn taking on the heroes from the “Iron Patriot Acts” teaser image. The eight specials announced at Heroes Con and simultaneously at Wizard World: Philly are:

Avengers - by Brian Bendis and Marko Djurdjevic

Uncanny X-Men - by Matt Fraction and Alan Davis

Secret Warriors - by Jonathan Hickman and Ed McGuniness

Punisher - by Rick Remender and John Romita Jr.

Daredevil - by Andy Diggle and Billy Tan

Wolverine - by Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic

Hulk - by Greg Pak and Ben Oliver

Amazing Spider-Man - by Dan Slott and Adam Kubert

These one-shots seem to be the next chapter in Dark Reign story. There are some good creative teams at work here. I’m looking forward to Adam Kuberts work. It would seem the story starts in The Avengers one-shot and will continue the story in some way through the one-shots. If these are pretty much linked up in some way, shape or form I can see me buying all of these!! Damn you Marvel!

There also might have been a little teaser from Bendis about a certain God of Thunder joining the New Avengers when at one of the panels at the Con a fan asked;

Are there chances for a Thor vs. Sentry fight? “If Thor was on one team,” Fraction said “And the Sentry was on another...” “I feel like my computer’s been hacked,” Bendis joked.

Now that would be a cool throw down! Please let that happen.

Newsarama has full notes from the panel here: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090620-heroes-dark-reign.html

& Bendis discusses Dark Reign: The List in more detail here:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/060921-Bendis-TheList.html

Tom Brevoort discusses it here: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/060922-Brevoort-List.html

IGN expand on the story here with summaries of each upcoming issue: http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/996/996600p1.html



-Nomad: Girl without a World – Mini-Series

Looks like the ‘Girl without a world’ teaser’s we have been seeing (& shown above) is for a new Nomad mini-series featuring the female Bucky who appeared in Cap # 600. This will be written by Teen Titan’s Sean McKeever. I don’t think he is a very good writer and don’t really have any interest in this. I can see myself suffering from Captain America over exposure soon like I do with Wolverine every month.

-Spider-Man: The Clone Saga & ‘Who is Ben Reilly?’

Newsarama spoke with Howard Mackie and Tom Defalco for some inside information about The Clone Saga, the new mini series that re-visits the very controversial story line, and hopefully improves on the original. This is a good in-depth interview with the creators who discuss where they think the original story in the 90’s went wrong and how they are going to approach it this time round. This also contains some nice preview pencil pages.

Spider-Man fans should def check this interview out here:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/060918-Clone-Saga.html

Newsarama then also spoke to Marc Guggenheim about his up-coming story arc in Amazing Spider-Man. Starting in the Amazing Spider-Man Annual #36 in July, "Who Is Ben Reilly?" continues in issues #608 and #609 in October, but Marc would not give away too many Spoilers.
Again though if you are a Spider-Man fan this is def worth a read.
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090620-ben-reilly.html

I don’t know why but the whole Ben Reilly controversy appeals to me and I really like Guggenheim as a writer so I’ll probably pick this arc up to see where the story goes. Could this be the reversal of ‘One More Day’?!?!

-X-Men Legacy Annual # 1


There was not that much exciting X-Men news for me personally except the X-Men Legacy Annual coming in September, and written by Mike Carey with art by Daniel Acuna. The only reason I’m looking forward to this is because of Daniel Acuna, he is one of my favorite artists right now. After this issue the series will supposedly follow a new ‘direction’ following the adventures of Rogue, which correct me if I’m wrong, is what this book has been doing for months, and before that, followed Rogue and her team of X-Men (Carey obviously has a big hard on for that character). If Acuna continues as artist for the book it appeals to me, otherwise the story line and direction does not.


CBR interview with M Carey: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21683



-A new Moon Knight on-going series

‘Vengeance of the Moon Knight’ will be the new on going series with the new creative team of writer Gregg Hurwitz and artist Jerome Opena. This is basically a relaunch, and the existing title will end. I’m sure this is just so Marvel can put a new $3.99 price tag on the book. Anyway, I bought a few issues of the Moon Knight series but never thought it was that great (I do think the character has big potential though) and I don’t think I have ever read anything by Gregg Hurwitz. I am always willing to give new series a go though, especially from Marvel, and this one promises to bring Moon Knight back into the centre of the Marvel U to mix thinks up with Norman, so I will check out the previews when they appear and if they look good to me I’ll prob check out issue 1.


-Heroes for Hire join the Thunderbolts?

Newsarama have a short interview with Rick Remender where it appears that he will be taking over writing chores on Thunderbolts # 136 for a one off 48 page special issue. From this interview we gather that Iron Fist & Luke Cage will in some way be black mailed into working for Norman Osborn. We know from previous New Avengers issues that Luke Cage in no way wants to work for Norman, and if I remember rightly smacked Norman the fuck out in the Avengers Tower. I can imagine Danny Rand would feel the same as Luke, so what does Norman have on these guys? From the cool cover for that issue shown above, Danny and Luke’s eyes look rather demonic. Possessed perhaps? Hypnotized? I dunno, either way I will check this out as I’m a sucker for both Iron Fist & Luke Cage and Remender talks a good game in this interview.
The other question raised here of course is what has happened to Andy Diggle as writer of the Thunderbolts series, is this just a one off and he’ll be back or not? He has only been on the book a short while. We’ll see.

Another interview at CBR here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21680

-Planet Hulk DVD
Lastly CBR reported: There will be a direct to DVD movie based on “Planet Hulk.“
“I was pulled on as a consultant,” said Pak. “I can’t say anything more except I think it’s going to be awesome!”

Phew, that’s a lot of news! I’d love to hear your thoughts guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment