Monday 15 June 2009

Monday Mini Reviews

Really good week for comics. Here are the first titles I read and what I thought of them:

Amazing Spider-Man # 597 – 5 out of 5

Best Spider-Man book I have read since……… I can’t remember when. I was a bit disappointed with the last issue but this really steps it up a gear. Spidey throws down with Daken who works out he is not Venom, and basically the fight is awesome. Harry shocks readers by proving he will do anything to get on his fathers good side (we presume to later stab in the back to steal the Goblin serum cure for girlfriend Menace) and there is a nice shocking and violent ending, where the game is pretty much up for Peter and the next issue I hope we will see how evil Norman can really be. I could not fault this issue in any way; both writing and art were fantastic. Loved it.

X-Factor # 44 – 4 out of 5

Again this book continues to impress month after month. Another great ending another and another great twist in this amazing story. Peter David I think writes to best dialogue of any comic book writer today. His characters are smart and funny, and you fall in love with every single one of them. They are characters of today, modern and young and relatable (in a mind space sort of sense), but put in extraordinary circumstances. My only problem was that the story of Jamie in the future has not really moved on much in the last few issues, and apart from Jamie and Layla’s relationship, not much is explored further here. Also the story from last issue with the cliffhanger ending dealing with Rictor & Strong Guy and Jamie’s Dupe was not touched on at all. I was looking forward to seeing where that went. Guess I’ll have to wait and see until next month. Overall though another fantastic issue.

Batman # 687 – 2.5 out of 5

Hated the cover to this issue, the JG Jones variant I wanted was too expensive for me too, but on with the story. This issue pretty much pointed out that Battle for the Cowl was totally unnecessary; I mean I thought Battle for the Cowl was okay and a fun ride, but this is the issue that actually deals with Dick deciding to take up the mantle of the Bat. Not much really happens accept for Dick contemplating continuing Bruce’s legacy, and deciding that if he does it has to be in his own way. The artwork by Benes is decent and the emotional moments where Alfred expresses his feeling about the loss of his ‘son’ to Superman were written and drawn beautifully. Winick did a good job overall with the characters. The reason I can’t give this more than 2.5 mark, as it was a pretty good issue, is that I am pissed at the way DC have handled this issue and Battle for the Cowl as a mini. DC could have easily put out one oversized issue compacting both stories and saving the readers money. Having said that I am looking forward to the next issue and where Winick takes this story.


Deadpool # 11 – 5 out of 5

I just really enjoyed this as it was just so much fun. The jokes were laugh out loud and even though sometimes corny and obvious Deadpool as a character gets away with it. This issue pretty is much a continuation of the Bullseye vs. Deadpool dust up with a psychotic butcher thrown into the mix for Deadpool to deal with in a rather gruesome way. There are also some very funny flashbacks of the two main characters as children at school which were hilarious. Paco Medina’s pencils are just great and so much fun, I think he is just really suited to this book. Lots of action+ lots of laughs = great issue. Next issue will see the conclusion to this arc and the way this book is written by Daniel Way I wouldn’t be so sure that Deadpool will come out the victor. Can’t wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment