Monday 8 June 2009

Monday Mini Reviews

I was a bit disappointed after getting through my stack this week, there was nothing that great to shout about. But here’s what I thought anyway:

Skaar: Son of Hulk 11 – 3.5 out of 5

This was probably the best issue I read this week and definitely had the best cover by TRAVIS CHAREST. (Spoilers) I like the human side to Skaar as a twist. This side is explored in this issue as the young human Skaar deals with the loss of a wolf he befriended and his struggle to keep the monster at bay due the destruction it causes. We also see a protective side as he sort of makes friends with some other kids around his own age and one of them gets injured. When the Hulk/Skaar emerges toward the end of the issue the ruthless bad ass is back, and next issue looks like the showdown between pa & son. The art by Ron Lim suits the feel of the book well. Pretty good all round.


Amazing Spider-Man 596 – 2.5 out of 5

Not as good as the previous issue unfortunately. Harry gets a tour of the Avengers tower and Peter infiltrates the Dark Avengers as Venom/ Dark Spider-Man. That’s pretty much all that happens. Hopefully it will pick up with some action next issue.

Batman & Robin 1 – 3 out of 5

This read a bit quick for me and quick for a Grant Morrison book. It’s basically a set up issue, which is fine as it’s a number 1. I like the little brat Damian as Robin; he is going to be the most entertaining character in this book. The new character Pyg was a cool edition, he is really quite evil. As for the art, it’s not really my cup of tea. Nothing wrong with it I just find Quitely’s art a bit spongy and bubbly which is not my bag. And the book was very colourful. I normally like Batman drawn a bit darker to suit the mood of the character but as this is a new Batman & Robin I will leave judgment on that to later, plus a new artist will be on board for issue 4 anyway. Enjoyable read but nothing spectacular.



Mighty Avengers 25 - 2 out of 5

I think the problem with this team so far is that none of them are likeable, that’s the way Dan Slott seems to be writing them. The premise for this issue is that the Mighty Avengers HQ (in the Pym Pocket) is in danger of being able to link with Earth. Pym has also been building some machine in the HQ that can only be contained in the Pym Pocket Universe he has created. What the machine does I don’t know. (Maybe I missed that or it was in previous issues.) So to save the HQ and the machine Pym needs another device held by the FF. Reed will not give up the device to Pym so Pym devises a plan to steal it from the FF. The problem is who cares!?!? Who cares if they have to get anew HQ and I didn’t get what the secret machine does so I do really care about the fate of that either. The big fight between the two teams will be next issue but I don’t think I’ll bother. Art was okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment